Tuesday, November 9, 2010

So here it is: I'm a U0 University student, at the bottom of the heap. I am interested in about the only thing arts undergraduates idealize as a possible future job: International Development. I just received my very first mark in the 60 percent range. I am without the only 5 people I trust. I have absolutely no motivation to live amongst a power-hungry, monetary based society, and I am without a clue as to where I belong in the social order I am supposed to fit. Even though I have no desire to do so, I am bound to this cumbersome and self-doubting life by familial obligation, the ever imprinting mark of North American society, and indecision. I am, as it were, between the bars.
This blog is my venting outlet, and a place where I can discuss what interests or infuriates me. I believe each person is instilled with ideas that create an all-encompassing bias which is hard to break, and affects their ability to open themselves to the world. I am not without doubt that I myself am afflicted with unconscious biases, but I will try to break them and see past what I am experiencing for the purpose of this blog, and "self-making" as my American lit professor refers to as themes of numerous American works of the 19th century.
The theme of self making, as I have studied in the autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, the narrative of Frederick Douglass' life, and further prose readings such as Emerson and Thoreau, have threatened the very view of life I have been brought up to follow. The view, being that of a life lived to have success and happiness, but the ways in which I have been taught involve minimal equations to achieve that ideal of "happiness". What I have decided, from now on, even as I fulfil my obligations and participate in the role society has concocted for me, is to discover what I believe happiness to be, and how I myself shall achieve it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, If you still exist and are connected to this blog, i wanted to say that your post intrigues me a lot.
    I actually stumbled upon this blog while looking for names for a new blog for myself.
    It also makes me hella curious what happened to you now, 10 years later and why you stopped writing here. I have no way of contacting you so, i'm commenting here.
    I'll try to read the books you've mentioned here, although they sound like heavy reads and will get back here with more understanding of your state i suppose.

    ReplyDelete